Friday, October 17, 2003

Retiring a Faithful Helper

Things just seem to be going wrong constantly.

A few weeks ago, my german shepherd service dog had an ear infection. We tried to clean it out. She didn't much like it. She struggled, and my husband tried to hold her. She wrenched herself around trying to get away from us. Shortly afterward, she started limping a bit on one rear paw. I figured she pulled a muscle. It did not get better.

We took her to the vet, who informs us that she has nerve damage. The dog can't tell where her rear paw is in space, so she's walking funny, and sometimes falls down. She may have a herniated disc.

She will not be able to be a working dog any more. She will not have the strength or the balance to assist me with mobility tasks, or the stamina to accompany me everywhere for the medical alert stuff.

I'm sorry to lose her help.

I'm sorrier still she's in this position, and scared to death she will hurt herself falling down. Especially on the stairs. The vet says she isn't in pain, but it is painful to see her this way. My poor faithful girl. She is terribly upset not to be able to be always at my side. And I am frightened of what life will be without her help. I haven't been using her much, since while pregnant and now with the baby, I don't leave the house much. But now it has become impossible to use her ever again for the work she loved doing.

Sigh.

Thank you my girl. You will always be my hero.

No comments: