Friday, October 31, 2003

A Halloween Friday Five

Yipee! It's Halloween! My favorite holiday, during my favorite season.



Today's edition of The Friday Five is all about Halloween:


1. What was your first Halloween costume?

I am going to have to ask my mother... The first one I remember was a home made Peter Pan. I wore my Dad's lime green Lake George sweatshirt, turned fleece side out, which came down to my knees, to which mom added brown paper bag fringe. She made me a green felt hat and elf shoes, and and I wore green tights and carried a toy sword.

2. What was your best costume and why?

Absolutely my sophomore year of high school home made (but with store bought collector's helmet) Darth Vader. Mom got the perfect vertically lined quilted black material for the suit, and I had a heavy black velvet cloak, and cardboard boxes for chest and belt plates. Knee high black boots. No one knew I was a girl. I got pelted with sneakers in the girls locker room, and chased out. But the best thing about that costume is, it was the reason I met my high school sweetheart, who I eventually married. Dear Hubby couldn't resist pointing out flaws in the costume, LOL. He's an extreme detail modeling freak.

3. Did you ever play a trick on someone who didn't give you a treat?

Nope. Too well behaved. I reserved my tricks for my little brother, who I tormented regularly (and vice versa). I used to put gross things in his shoes, like grapes and jello and peanut butter. And I enjoyed gluing his clean underwear shut.

4. Do you have any Halloween traditions? (ie: Family pumpkin carving, special dinner before trick or treating, etc.)

When I was a kid, my mom always took us trick or treating in the early evening. Then we went home for hot chocolate and orange frosted cupcakes, eaten by the glow of a jack o lantern, while mom played really spooky halloween records (yes, the vinyl kind. My age is showing, LOL).

My son is only six months old, but we will dress him as a tiger, carve a pumpkin, and take him to the homes of a few neighbors with kids who we know and trust. After that, we'll have hot chocolate and eat his candy...

5. Share your favorite scary story...real or legend!

The weirdest thing that ever happened to me was a sort of spooky precognition thing, where I got a flash of me and my frineds getting hit by a car. We almost did get hit by the car I "saw" later that night, but I saw it and yelled, and we jumped away in time to avoid becoming another drunk driving statistic. Not really a ghosty thing, but spooky. Only other spooky weird thing was ball lightning coming into our childhood home one stormy night. I thought it was a ghost.





No comments: