Sunday, March 07, 2004

Grandma's Visit

My mom went home yesterday. I always hate it when it's time for her to leave. She's not just my mom, she's a buddy. And it's nice to be able to sit down and have a cup of tea with her in real life, instead of over the telephone.

But my mom is a serious nervous wreck around Mikro.-

She loves him fiercely.

But I guess it's been a long while since she's been around a baby, and she has forgotten that crying doesn't always signal a major life threatening illness, or horrible injury. Every time my son cries, my mom becomes absolutely panicked: What's wrong with the baby?

And she doesn't believe me when I say, Nothing, he's just overstimulated and needs to get it out of his system.

Which is generally what it is when she visits, because she constantly interacts with him, whereas when it's just me, he gets some downtime while I make lunch, or have a cup of tea, or check my email. She doesn't leave him to his own devices at all, and is always trying to entertain him. Which is fine. She only gets to see him in small doses, so she is just trying to cram in as much baby love as she can when she's here. I just wish it didn't give her panic attacks when the inevitable happens and the boy gets fussy.

Anyway, now that she's back home, I can get to the computer again. She definitely doesn't approve of my blogging, so I try not to do it when she's here...

It was a hectic visit. She arrived Wednesday afternoon, and we went out with Mikro to do some grocery shopping and also hit the thrift store. My mom used to be squeamish about second hand stuff, but I have made her into a real bargain hunter, it seems. We go every time she visits!

Thursday is the anniversary of my Accident, so it was a tense day for me-- actually, I think Wednesday was worse. Anyway, to distract myself, we went mall crawling, and I engaged in one of my not so brilliant coping mechanisms-- spending too much money... But Mikro got a whole new spring wardrobe out of it, as Old Navy had tremendous sales going on.

Friday was supposed to be a quiet day. We stayed home, and Mikro had a meltdown, which really made my mom crazy. She was crying and absolutely convinced that she caused it because he was trying to play with something he shouldn't have, and she said No. Which made her think he was pissed at her.

Really, he's teething, as evidenced by his frequent attempts to bite me, and he was taken to too many new places for his little body to absorb all the input, and instead of taking a nap to help himself, he got into a cycle of fighting sleep, all of which spells cranky, screaming baby.

My mom took it personally. I tried to explain it to her, and I think she finally got it, but she's just dysfunctional about the baby crying... Which leads to more stress for me, but hopefully she'll grow out of this!

Mikro's much more pleasant now that we are back to our regular routine.

He's eating like a horse, and growing way too fast. He's letting go of the furniture and standing on his own, and took one sort of graceless, half-hearted step the other day, so we are anxiously awaiting the walking milestone. What I am truly dreading is the next inch or so of height he attains, because that will give him the ability to climb up on the furniture, and I will have to start worrying about him falling off... It doesn't help that he seems to like the idea of hurling himself off of things. We call him DB (Danger Boy) for a reason!

No comments: