Friday, January 09, 2004

Winter Novelties

I guess that's what you could call having your eyebrows freeze. This morning I let the dogs out right after I showered, and my wet bangs were dripping on my eyebrows, which promptly froze solid. I also got the sensation of an ice cream headache from the outside in, because my wet hair was cold! (Amazingly, I did wear my coat this time...) They are talking about -25 degrees today, with windchill. That is really a rarity here. The actual temperature rarely drops below zero, and the windchill nearly never gets worse than negative single digits...

I feel really sorry for my poor little diabetic dog, who is half bald at this point. She had a spell where her insulin dosage needed regulating, and most of her hair fell out. The vet says it's a three month cycle for hair to grow back in... In the meantime, she looks really strange, and she must be freezing her butt off. I can't find any of her doggie sweaters, either. Poor old dog.

My big dog is in the metaphorical dog house today, because she growled at the little dog. It's strange-- whenever the big dog goes into heat, she gets agressive with the little one. So at the moment, because of the growling and the eating of bed linens, she is wearing a muzzle. It's one that she can eat and drink while wearing, but I still hate making her wear it. But I would hate even more subjecting the diabetic dog to a bad bite, and the uncertain wound healing powers that go along with her condition... So, my big girl is acting contrite, and will probably be freed once she shows me a few hours of good behavior.

[I am sure someone is going to ask why the big dog isn't spayed... First, she's an inside dog (as all my dogs have always been), and isn't allowed to roam free. Second, spaying is major abdominal surgery. I fix the males in my menagerie, for whom the surgery is far less risky. My females are all intact. I have had animals all my life (38 years now), and never had one turn up pregnant, so PC or not, I believe my position to be sound and responsible. ]

I ordered sheets to replace the ones bizarrodog has eaten. I've decided to redo the master bedroom in a Key West (one of the places I got the biggest jolt of artistic inspiration from and which I dream of living in one day, at least during the winters) theme- palm trees galore, sunset colors on the walls, airy, breezy light curtains, etc. I lust after the ridiculously expensive palm tree shaped floor and table lamps at Domestications online catalog... But there is no way I can justify the expense... Maybe if hubby is generous in sharing the tax refund...

No comments: