Monday, June 07, 2004

Learning to Paint People

Mikro took a nap. And I took a risk. Tried watercolor pencils for the first time, and tried a subject at which I am not very proficient. I am not very good at people. Landscapes, still life, animals, no problem. People? Aaack. And I chose a particularly difficult photo to work from. My son has a smirk on his face which really seems to throw off the expected geometry... So, anyway, here's my effort, which does not do him justice. But hopefully I learned something (not the least of which is to do my pencil sketch a heck of a lot more lightly and erase before adding color), and my next portrait will be a little better... I would really like to get to the point where I wouldn't be embarassed to take a life drawing class... But I've a ways to go yet!

The reference photo is in the previous entry. Here's the painting:

No comments: